Stronger than fiction
Stronger than Fiction Documentary Film Festival screens the latest award-winning feature documentaries from around the world and explores the ideas they raise with Q&As with the filmmakers and experts. STF is the only festival in the ACT dedicated to the art of documentary.
2016 was a fantastic year for Stronger Than Fiction.
- Opening Night Gala - The Music Of Strangers: Yo Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble
- Doco Pitch Slam awarding prizes worth over $3000
- Q and A with Oscar-winning director Roger Ross Williams
- Popular Q and As with leading experts after most films
- Four music-themed films that sold out twice!
- Closing Night Gala - Sonita followed by After Party featuring live poetry performance by Candy Royalle
We want to use the power of cinema to connect people with new ideas. And shake them up a bit. Our curatorial philosophy is to screen documentaries that combine cinematic storytelling with cutting edge thinking and deep insights about the world we live in and are being forced to share in ways we barely understand.
The world is already here in Canberra – from the global ideas that shape the nation’s political agenda to the international community that brings perspectives from other cultures. We want to be part of that dynamic, and we passionately believe that documentary cinema is one of the best ways to share new thinking.
The idea of a dedicated national documentary film festival based in the ACT had been discussed for years, and in 2013 a group of passionate people – led by documentary filmmaker Deborah Kingsland and film curator Simon Weaving – made it happen as part of the Canberra Centenary.
With the first year a strong success, Stronger Than Fiction has been growing year on year, with support from EventsACT, as well and several key sponsors. Stronger than Fiction is now a recognised event on the ACT & national film festival calendar.